If you think you hate your curly hair, think again. It’s probably the haircut. Curly hair men have different cutting and styling requirements than straight or even wavy hair.
In this guide, you will find 77 of the best men’s haircuts for curly hair for short, medium, and long lengths. Scroll down to get straight to the haircuts and hairstyles!
We also share super helpful styling tips and the best products you can use for your curly hair.
Different Haircuts for Men With Curly Hair
There are three ways to manage curly hair. The first eliminates texture and frizz with a very short haircut. The second is to straighten hair with a product, heat styling, or relaxer. The last is to make the most of your hair type. That’s what we’re here for.
There aren’t any pictures of curly buzz cuts, crew cuts, and other ultra-cropped looks because hair is too short to reveal any texture and looks straight. Instead, we have short, medium, and long haircuts with fades, tapers, and undercuts that highlight curly locks and are easy to wear.
Cool Haircuts For Men With Curly Hair
So what are cool looks for curly hair? Anything that works with your natural texture. Styles with texture are one of the top men’s hair trends right now and you don’t have to get a special cut or use a special product to get it. In addition to the popular curly fade haircuts, we’ve got trendy looks like French crops, curly mohawks, and slick styles.
How To Maintain Curly Hair
Every cut at every length is a good haircut with the right care. The coils and shape of curly hair make it more prone to dryness and breakage than other hair types. Lots of conditioning will make hair softer and more manageable. Here are the basics of taking care of curly hair:
At most, shampoo hair every other day but less is even better. You can still shower every day. Break up any grime by massaging the scalp thoroughly. Condition hair every day. If hair looks or feels greasy in between, spray some dry shampoo at the roots and work it in.
Daily conditioning isn’t always enough to keep curly hair looking it’s best A leave-in conditioner or few drops of oil after the shower lock in moisture and help fight frizz. Use a deep conditioner or hair mask once a week or at least once a month. The curlier the hair, the more additional moisture it requires.
Styling Curly Hair
On days you don’t wash your hair, use some dry shampoo to absorb oil at the roots. Then add products, but less than you use on freshly washed hair.
Types of Curly Hair
There is an official way to classify types of curly hair based on how much hair it takes a complete curl to form. Type 1 hair is straight, Type 2 is wavy, Type 3 is curly and Type 4 is kinky. Coiled hair can be type 3 or 4. In general, most people with coily and kinky hair are of African descent but not always. Black people can have looser curls, white people can have tighter curls, and curly hair exists in all genetic pools including Hispanic and Asian lineages.
Instead of those classifications, we’re going to look at the types of curly hair that require different care and products:
Thick + Coarse Curly Hair
Sometimes thick and coarse curly hair can be too much of a good thing. The key to soft, manageable hair is conditioner and lots of it. Get extra moisturizer in hair at every opportunity with a moisturizing shampoo, daily conditioner, leave-in conditioner, and even deep conditioning treatments like. Hair products for curly hair like creams and pomades hold hair and moisture.
Thin + Fine Curly Hair
The challenge for thin and fine curly hair is to avoid falling flat. Even with curly volume, hair products can weigh hair down. In addition to the right length and layers for your curl type, use lightweight products that define curl and fight frizz like mousses and curl creams.
Frizzy Curly Hair
Frizz is not a type of curl. Frizzy hair deviates from the surrounding texture, standing up or curling on its own. There are two main causes of frizzy curly hair. One you can control and the other you can’t. The former is hot and humid weather, the later is dehydration and damage. The good news is both can be combated with care and products.
First, towel drying hair with an actual towel can cause frizz. Dedicate an old t-shirt to the cause or try a microfiber towel. Second, don’t play with your hair during the day. The more you touch it, the more it will frizz up.
As far as products go, fight frizz with additional moisture and conditioning. In heat and humidity, oils and waxes define curly texture and keep away that summer frizz.
Tight + Kinky Curly Hair
Kinky curls are the tightest type of curls. Depending on if it is type 4a, 4b, or 4c curls, hair forms tight coils in an S- pattern, Z-pattern, or without a defined curl pattern. This type of tight, kinky curls are the most prone to dryness and breakage.
The quick rules for this natural texture are wash less, moisture, more avoid silicones and mineral oil in hair products, deep condition, don’t brush dry hair, and use protective styles, especially over bight.
Now, let’s check out the latest curly hair haircuts and hairstyles. Scroll down to pick your desired hair length, and then choose a cool new look.
Short Haircuts And Hairstyles For Curly Hair
1. Undercut For Short Curly Hair
A cool look that shows off short sides and longer curls on top. Disconnected with an undercut.
2. Curly Hair + 360 Waves + Short Haircut
A very stylish short haircut for black men. The 360 waves add definition to short hair.
3. Classic Short Haircut For Curly Hair
A simple classic men’s haircut for curly hair. A great professional look for the office that can also be worn in a casual way over the weekend.
4. Short Taper Haircut For Curly Hair
Another awesome classic men’s haircut, the taper shows a clean fade in the temples and the neckline.
5. Classic Skin Fade + Short Curly Hair
This is a great looking mid bald fade haircut for curly hair that is not as disconnected as an undercut. Line up in the front is super fresh.
6. Low Fade Haircuts For Short Curly Hair
Here we have a low fade short haircut for curly hair that is nicely blended where the fade meets the hair on top.
7. Mid Fade Haircuts For Short Curly Hair
A cool mid fade haircut for curly hair that has a nice length of fringe hanging loosely in the front.
8. High Fade Haircuts For Curly Hair
This look features a high fade blended into shorter curls on top.
9. Drop Fade And Curly Hair With Hair Design
Want a trendy cool look? Then get a hair design added to the fade on the sides. Here, the design separates a bald fade from the high fade.
10. Bald Fade And Short Curly Hair
Another cool look for curly hair that features a hair design on the sides.
11. Short Curly Hair + Mohawk Fade Haircut
Okay, time to turn up the cool factor even more with a mohawk fade for curly hair.
12. Short Curly Haircut For Thick Hair With Shadow Fade
A cool short haircut for men with thick curly hair.
13. Temple Fade + Short Curly Haircut
Keep some length on the sides and tidy up the look with a temple fade that disconnects a beard.
14. Temp Fade
A super clean looking temp fade for black men.
15. Short Haircut With Burst Fade And Curly Hair
Another haircut that makes curly hair look awesome. This look features a burst fade and line up in the front that looks crisp and fresh.
16. Short Curly Hair + Box Fade Haircut
A nicely sculpted box fade haircut in a short, almost medium length of hair.
17. Southside Fade Haircut
This is a short, unique look that is perfect for Summer or hot climates.
18. Fade Haircut With Hair Design
This is one of the coolest short haircuts for men that we have seen lately. It features a high fade and short textured hair on top.
19. Stylish And Cool Haircuts For Short Curly Hair
A cool fade haircut that separates the high from the low fade.
20. Haircuts For Thinning Curly Hair
If you have thinning hair you could try out a short textured haircut like this one. It features a short fringe in the front and a high fade on the sides.
21. Fringe Haircut For Curly Hair With A Bald Fade
A simple haircut for curly hair that features a longer fringe in the front and a mid bald fade on the sides.
22. Short Curly Hair Crop Haircut
This crop haircut is all neat and tidy with a line up in front and an awesome fade on the sides that features a line.
23. Quiff Haircut For Short Curly Hair
This is a popular style we have seen lately. A quiff haircut for curly hair and a low bald fade on the sides that disconnects the beard.
24. Short Textured Men’s Haircut For Curly Hair With Bald Drop Fade And Bangs
Show off your curly hair with a bald drop fade on the sides and back. This separates curls on top and makes them pop.
25. Cool Pompadour Haircut For Short Curly Hair
A classic and clean look for curly hair with a high fade on the sides.
26. Slicked Back Hairstyle For Short Curly Hair
Make your curls look slick by working some pomade into damp or wet hair. Or use a pomade that has shine.
27. Short Haircut With Shaved Sides And Curly Hair On Top
This is a modern version of the high and tight for short curly hair.
28. Short Summer Haircut For Men With Curly Hair
This short men’s haircut for curly hair puts emphasis on your curls. It features a bald fade that is perfect to stay cool all Summer long, or in hotter climates.
29. Short Men’s Curly Haircut With A Hard Part
A high fade and a hard shaved line creates a nice box fade haircut.
30. Short Choppy Haircut + Curly Hair
If you want a clean looking stylish look go for a textured haircut like this one.
Medium Length Curly Hairstyles
31. Short Sides + Medium Curly Hair On Top
This is a super tight look. Medium loose curls on top. And an awesome low bald fade at the sides and back with a line up to keep things looking nice and tidy.
32. Medium Length Messy Curly Hair With Longer Fringe
This is a great haircut with a longer fringe in the front. This is a modern take on the classic 80s skater hair look.
33. Classic Tapered Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
Don’t want a fade? Then go for a classic men’s tapered scissor cut haircut.
34. Modern Mullet Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
Want to stand out from the pack. Keep some party in the back and all business up front. This is a modern mullet haircut for curly hair.
35. Layered Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
Another good looking modern tapered haircut for men with curly hair.
36. Undercut For Medium Curly Hair
This is a cool look for black men. The braided undercut haircut.
37. Blowout Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
The blowout haircut never goes out of style. It looks awesome with medium length thick curls.
38. Medium Length Taper Haircuts For Curly Hair
Here we have a great haircut at medium borderline longer curly hair. It is kept clean with a slight temple fade. Longer fringe is styled back and to the side.
39. Low Fade Haircuts For Medium Curly Hair
Another great haircut for men with curly hair that want a medium length on top. It features a low fade and the hair on top is textured and thinned out.
40. Mid Fade Haircuts For Medium Curly Hair
Want to keep a tight short feeling at the sides and the back. This haircut does that. Curls in the front and on top are kept thick and full.
41. High Fade Haircuts For Medium Hair With A Fresh Line Up in Front
This is a cool haircut that is almost like a high top. The high fade and line up disconnects the tall hair on top.
42. Medium Length Loose Curly Hairstyles
Another 80s skater inspired haircut keeps the long loose curly fringe in front.
43. Slicked Back Curly Hair Hairstyle In Medium Length
Another good haircut if you do not want short faded sides. This is an longer all scissor cut haircut for men with curly hair.
44. Stylish Haircuts For Medium Length Curly Hair
Medium length curls on top, a medium length fringe in front, and a mid fade on the sides.
45. Dyed Curly Hair Haircuts
Add some hair color to switch up your look. Totally cool and totally fun.
46. Shag Haircut + Curly Hair
Curly hair is perfect for the shag haircut.
47. Curly Hair Mullet Haircut
Mullets have been a more popular choice of haircuts in recent years. Keep that flow in the back and keep it clean cut in the front and sides. Looks great with a baseball hat too.
48. Shaved Sides + Medium On Top
This curly haircut for men features a temple fade and some loose bangs in front.
49. Drop Fade And Curly Hair
Line up haircuts look really good with curly hair. The best of both worlds, medium hair on top, short everywhere else.
50. Medium Bald Fade Haircut For Curly Hair
A super cool curly hair high top haircut with a bald fade and line up. Tight.
51. Mohawk Fade With Medium Curly Hair On Top
This is an awesome haircut, the curly hair mohawk fade.
52. Shadow Fade And Medium Curly Hair
This haircut keeps the hair very short in the back and on the sides with medium length curls on top and a loose longer fringe in front. You can also style this hair back in a slicked back look for more formal occasions.
53. Temple Fade And Medium Curly Hair
This simple minimalistic temple fade gives this medium length curly haircut a clean appearance.
54. Temp Fade And Medium Curly Hair
A medium to long curly hair men’s haircut. Super tall on top looks so cool.
55. Burst Fade And Medium Curly Hair
Want to stand out? Get a burst fade with a hair design.
56. Stylish Haircuts For Medium Curly Hair
A modern take on a classic haircut. Curls on top are mostly cut at one length which gives this uniform look.
57. Fringe Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
A medium length curly men’s haircut with fringe. Essentially, a medium length crop haircut for curly hair.
58. Crop Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
Another version of the men’s curly crop haircut.
59. Textured Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
A super cool medium length men’s haircut for curly hair that features a long fringe and textured hair on top that is styled forward.
60. Medium Curly Hair Side Part Haircut
Curly hair is difficult to keep parted. Overcome this with a hard part shaved above a high fade.
61. Comb Over Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
One of the best and most stylish men’s haircuts for curly hair that we have seen over the years. A nice tidy mid fade that is nowhere near the skin, with loose curls neatly styled forwards with the fringe.
62. Pompadour Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
A cool looking pompadour haircut for curly hair with a high fade.
63. Medium Length Coily-Curly Hair
Super tight longer curls left to do what they do best – just be natural. Paired with a low bald fade.
64. Medium Curly Hair Haircut With Shaved Sides
A cool high fade haircut with longer curls on top.
65. Layered Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
Skip the fade and keep your curls longer all over. This is a great looking layered haircut for men with curly hair.
66. Choppy Haircut For Medium Curly Hair
A choppy messy curly hairstyle.
67. Temp Fade + Medium Curly Haircut
Another awesome haircut by Whitney VerMeer that lets the natural curls on top do their magic.
68. Taper Haircut for Curly Hair
A clean tapered haircut for curly hair.
Long Curly Hairstyles For Men
69. Undercut + Long Curly Hair
Long curly hair on top undercut haircut.
70. Cool Fade With Long Hair On Top
A cool low fade haircut with long curls standing up on top.
71. Messy Curly Hair + Long Length
Another undercut for curly hair that looks cool and stylish at the same time.
72. Long Loose Curly Hairstyles
Long tight curls on top with a disconnected beard. Super cool.
73. Long Layered Haircut For Curly Hair
Very long curly hairstyle for men. Super fashionable and trendy looking with the beard.
74. Long Slicked Back Curly Hair Hairstyle
Longer way to curly hair slicked back on top with a high fade on the sides.
75. Curly Long Hair On Top + Shorter Side Curls
A good look if you want to keep the curly hair on top long and shorter on the sides.
76. Bob Haircut For Long Curly Hair
Grow out your long curly hair and go for a bob hairstyle. You can wear it down, or pull it back into a ponytail or top knot.
77. Shoulder Length Curly Hair Hairstyles
Grow it all out and rock out. This is a good looking long hair haircut for curly hair.
The Best Curly Hair Products For Men
We already talked about how to deal with curly hair. Make the most of your cool curly cut by using the right product. Here are a few of the best hair products for men with curly hair in order of highest to lowest hold.
Best Pomade For Curly Hair
- Smooth Viking Hair Clay – For short curly hairstyles, this high-hold, matte pomade amps up texture. It’s perfect for crops, tapers, and fades.
- Hair Craft Co. Pomade – This strong hold, semi-matte product replaces hair gel, one of the easiest to use products for curly hair. It’s perfect for defining curls and keeping them in place on top of the head or over to one side.
- OSiS+ THRILL Fibre Gum – For texture and hold, elastic fibers allow flexible and moldable looks plus shine and separation. This type of product is excellent for curly hair, especially for hold in the heat or during activity.
Best Gel For Curly Hair
Hair gel is a surprisingly controversial product. Not all hair gels are good but they are also not all bad. Gels work well for curly hair because they lock down texture without frizz. Use gel to style hair or create a gel cast. For the cast method, lightly scrunch gel through almost dry hair and let it dry all the way. Then remove the gel by scrunching hair again. You should be left with well defined and frizz-free curls.
- Bumble and bumble Anti-Humidity Gel Oil Specifically designed to address the needs of curly, coily, and kinky, as well as thick hair, this product combines the hold of a gel with conditioning oils. It also helps elongate curls, which helps if you’re growing hair out.
- SexyHair Hard Up Hard Holding Gel This ultra strong hold gel works well for the gel cast method or styling.
- Imperial Gel Pomade – Another hybrid hair product, this unique formula combines the hold of a gel with hydration of a pomade. It works well for the thickest and curliest of hair.
Best Hair Cream For Curly Hair
Hair creams are made for curly hair because they are easy to apply and condition hair. Formulas range in strength so use a lightweight formula with a pomade or a stronger hold formula by itself. Check out our hair cream post for more recommendations.
- Redken Frizz Dismiss Rebel Tame Control Cream This cream does it all. Apply it to damp hair to condition all day, smooth frizz, and protect from heat or sun damage. Judging by the number of reviewers from Florida, America’s humidity capital, this is the real deal.
Best Oil For Curly Hair
- Royal Locks Pro Curl Cream Oil This easy-to-use product combines a hair gel, curl cream and leave-in conditioner into one. Use it to lightly hold, condition and fight frizz for loose and longer curly hairstyles.
- Pura D’Or Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil Many hair oils boast that they contain argan oil. Well, this formula is nothing but. It can also be to moisturize facial hair, facial skin, and the body.
- Maui Moisture Quench + Coconut Oil Curl Milk For thick, kinky, and natural hair this product hydrates, smooths, and defrizzes.
Best Shampoo For Curly Hair
For the most part, you can’t go wrong with a shampoo made for curly hair. Always look for sulfate-free formulas that won’t dry out hair.
- Devacurl No-Poo Original Cleanser This non-soap conditioning cleanser can be used every day. It cleanses without stripping hair. Use it with the Devacurl Conditioner. And ignore the name, it’s made for all curly hair, not just women.
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore This shampoo is designed for textured hair, has added oils, and rings in under 10 bucks. Check out the matching conditioner.
- Hask Purifying Dry Shampoo This lemon-scented dry shampoo absorbs oil, sweat, and odor with rice powder and charcoal.
Best Conditioner For Curly Hair
We’ve talked and talked and talked about conditioning curly hair. Here are three great products at low, medium, and higher price points. Leave conditioner as long as possible in the shower.
- Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Fortifying Conditioner This drugstore brand can be had for $5 or less but is sulfate-free and contains coconut, jojoba, and macadamia oils to smooth hair and fight frizz.
- OGX Nourishing + Coconut Milk Conditioner With coconut milk, coconut oil, and ultra whipped egg white proteins, this conditioner strengthens and smooths hair.
- Pura D’Or Healing Argan Oil Conditioner This plant-based formula can restore dry, damaged hair and tame frizz. They stand behind their product with a money-back guarantee.
Best Leave-In Conditioner For Curly Hair
Leave-in conditioner can be used after your regular conditioner or own its own. It will help lock in moisture from the shower and fight frizz.
- Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-In Conditioner Spray Aussie makes the best and cheapest conditioners. This spray formula is no exception, with jojoba and sea kelp to soften and detangle curly locks.
- Renpure Coconut Whipped Creme Leave-In Conditioner This plant-based product works for even the driest and curliest hair types.
- Aunt Jackie’s Quench, Moisture Intensive Leave-in Conditioner If your curls just aren’t doing what you want them to, try this best-selling leave-in conditioner that works for all types of naturally curly, kinky, and high porosity hair.
Best Brush For Curly Hair
To brush curly hair, use a detangling brush or paddle brush with wide set bristles. Brushing wet or damp hair helps prevent breakage. If your prefer a comb, use a wide toothed comb. Some people swear that wood is gentler on hair but of course plastic is cheaper.
Hair Straightener Products
There are a number of different ways to straighten curly hair. Any permanent method is damaging so we’re going to talk about the temporary methods. The easiest way to straighten curly hair is with a strong pomade, like Suavecito, and style hair into a pompadour or combover style. If that’s not enough, use a blow dryer too. Always apply a heat protectant spray to prevent damage and frizz. More about that below.
Hair Color For Curly Hair
Any hair color goes for curly hair, whether you want to add highlights, lighten dark hair, darken light hair, or taste the rainbow with red, blue, or green hair. All of these types of color damage and dry out hair so shampoo even less or use a hydrating shampoo and condition more, especially with a mask, deep conditioning treatment, or leave-in conditioner.
How To Style Curly Hair
Styling curly hair for men is really easy. If you want to comb or brush wet hair, use a wide-tooth comb or detangling brush that won’t damage hair. When hair is more dry than damp, work in your favorite cream, pomade, or gel. Then scrunch hair with fingers to distribute products and set the curl. Longer hair means more scrunching but just do it until you like the look. Now let hair finish drying.
How To Blow Dry Curly Hair
If you don’t want to wait for curly hair to air dry, bring on the blow dryer. To maintain curls and fight frizz, use the diffuser attachment that came with the hair dryer or buy one if you don’t have one. It looks like a round spiky comb.
- Gently towel hair dry (not with a towel) until damp
- Apply heat protectant and scrunch hair
- Gather a section of hair onto the diffuser and pressing it up against your scalp. Then just hold it there for a minute or 3, until hair is mostly but not all the way dry. Use low-medium height but high air is fine.
- Continue until hair is about 80% dry
- Add your pomade, cream, or gel and scrunch hair into place
- Let it air dry
How To Blow Dry Curly Hair Straight
Curly hair is great but sometimes you want a different look. Enter the blow dryer again. This time you want the opposite of the diffuser, the concentrator. It’s a wide channel that directs hair in one place, helping to straighten hair and boost shine. You can use just fingers to blow dry curly hair straight but for tighter curls or ultra-straight hair, use a vented brush to really pull hair tight.
- Gently towel hair dry (not with a towel) until damp
- Apply heat protectant and scrunch hair
- Grab a section of hair at the front with fingers or a brush, pull it straight, and blast air from the roots to tips. Stick to medium or lower height to minimize hair damage.
- Repeat until hair is dry.
- For stubborn hair, finish with a flat iron.
- Make sure hair stays straight by working in a medium to strong hold product. For hair that stands up to any weather from humidity to wind, finish with some hair spray.
Growing Out Curly Hair
Curly hair grows at the same rate as straight hair, about half an inch a month. But because it grows in coils instead of straight, it can look and feel like it takes longer to gain length. If you want to grow out curly hair, here’s how to keep hair healthy and looking it’s best.
1. Be Gentle Curly hair is more prone to breakage than other hair types. Brush wet hair with a wide-tooth comb or detangling bush to protect curls from damage.
2. No Poo It’s getting repetitive for us too but it needs to be said. Curly hair should be shampooed as little as possible. Aim for once a week if you can but every other day works.
3. Condition Curly hair is thirsty for added moisture. In addition to helping hair look and feel better, additional conditioning helps prevent breakage. The best way to care for curly hair is no shampoo or a non-soap product, conditioner in every shower, and additional deep conditioner at minimum once a month.
4. Stretch It Out Different curl types shrink up to as much as 30 to 75% of their straight length. To make hair appear longer, use products that elongate the curls like Ouidad Curl Cream. It’s a temporary fix but also shows what longer locks will look like.
5. Haircuts It may seem counterintuitive to cut your hair while growing it out but it’s about the end game. Especially with curly hair, maintaining an attractive shape is essential to helping you keep going. Let your barber or stylist know that you want to grow hair out and they can give you a cut that looks great today and will continue to look good as it gets longer. Avoiding any awkward phases makes the process of growing hair longer rewarding every step of the way.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.